Administrative AssistantCrystal Lake Public Library
Crystal Lake Public Library
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports To: Library Director
The Administrative Assistant performs daily organizational and administrative support functions; is part of the Administration Office Team; assists in daily library operations and other activities as directed; assists in the production and implementation of materials for meetings of Library Board and its Committees. Acts as recording secretary to the Board of Library Trustees. Functions as a Building Supervisor.
1. Provides administrative support to Library Director and Assistant Director
2. Staffs the Administration Office
3. Organizes and collates a variety of files and materials; assists in compliance with the Library’s file retention requirements
4. Maintains authority lists for distribution of updated information; ensures that materials are appropriately distributed in a timely manner
5. Generates purchase orders for approved purchases
6. Oversees annual library supplies purchasing and inventory processes; coordinates supply needs with department representatives on an annual and monthly basis
7. Researches, summarizes, and makes recommendations on purchases; upon approval, makes purchases; receives and verifies supplies and equipment; assists with maintaining inventory records
8. Sorts and organizes mail
9. Assists with scheduling and setting up Library meetings and events; assists in organizing refreshments, moving tables, chairs, and equipment, as needed
10. Responsible for communication of all Library Board meetings and scheduled/emergency closings through various formats including, but not limited to, the media and automated services
11. Assists in organization and preparation of packets for meetings of the Library Board and its Committees; attends meetings and takes minutes, as needed
12. Assists with maintaining appropriate sections of the Staff Intranet, Staff Lounge postings, and Library website
13. Prepares correspondence to patrons and donors; maintains donor records
14. Assists in the design, layout, and production of library documents, procedures, communications, etc.
15. Handles wide variety of special projects assigned by the Library Director and Assistant Director
16. Attends and participates in Crystal Lake Public Library meetings and committees; participates in appropriate job-related meetings; attends relevant continuing education events
17. Keeps Library Director informed on services, projects, challenges, successes, etc., related to assigned areas of responsibility
18. Performs other related duties as assigned or required
Education, Experience, and Knowledge:
Minimum of two years of college education or related secretarial and technical courses. Two years of administrative or secretarial experience required. Minimum six months customer service experience required. Excellent knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mail; advanced knowledge of PCs and Internet searching; basic knowledge of working in a networked computer environment.
Skills and Abilities:
•Interpersonal, public relations, problem solving, troubleshooting skills
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills; listening skills
•Basic math skills
•Ability to operate the following equipment: computer, FAX, copier, printers, telephone
•Ability to work effectively with a variety of people
•Ability to coordinate, instruct others
•Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
•Ability to handle variety and change
•Ability to organize and arrange
•Ability to handle details with accuracy and speed
•Valid driver’s license, IL auto insurance, and reliable access to a vehicle
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to intermittently stand, sit, and walk. The position requires the ability to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and far vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel equipment and objects; and reach with hands and arms. Occasional bending, stooping, and climbing are required.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds and push or pull up to 150 pounds. This job is performed in a typical office environment.